Trying to keep ahead of the zero-day vanilla bump requests has proven to be challenging.
To aid in that, I’ve written a small bash script that will go out and determine if a new kernel version has been released.
If it finds a new version, the script will email the defined recipients.
Some limitations do exist:
- It uses screen scraping. Hence, if the kernel.org website source changes, the script will need to be updated
- It is limited to checking only the following kernel versions:
- The latest stable version
- The latest prepatch version
- The latest snapshot version
- The latest 2.4 version
This might be useful only to me, not sure how many people live and breath for the next kernel version. 🙂
As always, suggestions, comments and patches are always welcome.
You can download version 0.1 here.