kernel-alert: When you absolutely, positively have to know when that next kernel version is released
Trying to keep ahead of the zero-day vanilla bump requests has proven to be challenging.
To aid in that, I’ve written a small bash script that will go out and determine if a new kernel version has been released.
If it finds a new version, the script will email the defined recipients.
Some limitations do exist:
- It uses screen scraping. Hence, if the kernel.org website source changes, the script will need to be updated
- It is limited to checking only the following kernel versions:
- The latest stable version
- The latest prepatch version
- The latest snapshot version
- The latest 2.4 version
This might be useful only to me, not sure how many people live and breath for the next kernel version.
As always, suggestions, comments and patches are always welcome.
You can download version 0.1 here.